Cresco Public Library
100th Birthday Celebration of our Carnegie Library
The Cresco Public Library celebrated its Centennial with an Open House on Friday, November 7th, 2014. Pictures of this event can be seen by clicking here. For more information about the history of Cresco Public Library and Carnegie libraries,. click here.
2014 Tax Preparation: Anyone wanting to access government tax links, addresses, telephone numbers, or information about state and federal taxes should click here.
Free Tax Help
The volunteer tax preparers will be here on Thursdays 9-5. This free income tax assistance is for low to moderate income individuals or individuals over 60 years of age. To schedule an appointment, please call: Cresco @ 563-203-7681, Decorah @ 563-419-3703, Postville @ 563-419-3703, or Waukon @ 563-568-6345. Be sure to bring with you:
- Social Security Cards or comparable documentation (ITIN letters) for you, your spouse (if applicable) and all dependents
- Income related documents: Forms W2, Unemployment compensation statements, SSA 1099, 1099R, and other 1099 forms showing home mortgage interest or other income including lottery, gambling winnings.
- Expense related documents: Checks and forms showing federal and state taxes paid, 1098 forms, documentation of medical, dental, charity or business expense, any vehicle and property taxes, and mortgage interest paid.
- Child care expenses, including the provider's address and federal tax ID#
- Health insurance documentation
- For direct deposit/debit of any refund/balance due, bring a check with you name on it or savings account information. you can also use your full refund or part of your refund to purchase a savings bond.
Cresco Public Library welcomes author Margaret Grguric Smolik
Margaret will present a program on her memoir, 'Like A Haystack: Life from My Perspective'
Thursday, April 2 at 7 p.m.
Library Program Room (downstairs) *** Free of charge *** Cresco Public Library is handicap accessible
Margaret Grguric Smolik, from Osage, Iowa, is a professional copy editor and author. She earned her Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees from Drake University, Des Moines, and taught English and writing for many years. Her book describes how her family became refugees when Hitler marched into Yugoslavia in 1943. They were herded from camp to camp, and lived in Austria before heading to the United States. Smolik will talk about her memoir and her Croatian heritage.
The Cresco Public Library has a new operating system (called Apollo) which one can use from anywhere in the world as long as one has internet access. Check out our new catalog by clicking here or on the tab above. Be patient with staff as they become familiar with the variety of advantages this system provides.
When you visit our library catalog, you can
- go directly to NEIBORS (ebooks and/or audobooks downloads) or EBSCOhost (research topics)
- see 'What's Hot' and 'What's New'
- search for a book or an author
When you visit our library catalog and log into your account with your patron number and telephone number, you can
- see what book(s) you have on reserve or put a book on reserve
- see if you've checked out a book
- change to a more secure password
- add a phone or email address
- direct the library's automated system to send out a 3-day notice before your items are due and renew if necessary
- see items that you currently have checked out
- 'Going out of town? You can defer your reserves until you get back.'
- 'Is the library missing something? You can request that the library purchase a book or borrow it from another library (inter-library loan)'
Story Hour with Arla is scheduled for Wednesday, April 1st. The next theme, "Bunnies and Baskets", will be held from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Our new library circulation program is awesome. Experiment with what you can do with our new Apollo system.
Great Rivers 2-1-1 is a 24-hour information & referral and crisis line service. The service is free and confidential. Great Rivers 2-1-1 is a service of Gunderson Lutheran Health System and the United Way.
Contact them at Great Rivers 2-1-1; PO Box 426; Onalaska, WI 54650; or for assistance call 2-1-1 or (800) 362-8255 throughout the Tri-State Region (WI, MN & IA)