Cresco Public Library
100th Birthday Celebration of our Carnegie Library
Did you know? The Howard County Fair moved to the city of Cresco in 1866. The first fair in Cresco was held September 28 and 29, 1866. The machinery and stock that year were exhibited on the ground north of J.F. Webster's residence, later the Park Hotel and now the corner where the library stands. At this time Elm Street extended only to the courthouse square and the area north of the library was a grove of scrub oak and hazel brush... [For more interesting facts, see the histories included below]
We are celebrating the 100th birthday of our beautiful Carnegie Library. The majority of the construction on the Cresco Public Library took place in 1914. Work was completed by the end of that year. The official dedication of the building was on February 10, 1915.
1. For those interested in reading a short history of the library, click here.
2. Those interested in reading more on the history of the Cresco Public Library, as told through the local newspaper, click here!
4. Those interested in reading more on the history of the major new addition to the Cresco Public Library, as told through the local newspaper, click here!
6. The Directors of the Cresco Public Library over the years. Click here
7. List of Carnegie Libraries in Iowa. Click here
8. John M. Witt wrote "The Carnegie libraries of Iowa" in 2003. The ISBN is 0-9729219-9-7. In it, he writes about the Carnegie Library in Iowa. Click here
Story Hour will be held every Wednesday from October 1st to December 17th (10 a.m. to 11 a.m.). Arla will have stories, jokes, crafts and fun. See our calendar along the right side of the screen. The theme of the third Story Hour is: "Chicken Shakes". !
Abby Converse was the Cresco Public Library Director from 1912 to 1948. Tours will be given of her home (314 2nd Street East) during the library's centennial open house (Friday, November 7th). Linda Thompson will give 15 to 20 minute tours from noon to 4 p.m. For more information, click here. click
It is time for the Cresco Public Library Silent Auction to begin. Bidding begins on Monday, September 29th, and ends on November 1st, at noon. Bid often on the many beautiful items generously donated at the Library Friends and fellow patrons. Click here for more details!
Great Rivers 2-1-1 is a 24-hour information & referral and crisis line service. The service is free and confidential. Great Rivers 2-1-1 is a service of Gunderson Lutheran Health System and the United Way.
Contact them at Great Rivers 2-1-1; PO Box 426; Onalaska, WI 54650; or for assistance call 2-1-1 or (800) 362-8255 throughout the Tri-State Region (WI, MN & IA)